(v.8), I never forget Christ’s change in me - as a Christ-follower. When it comes to jokes, the St. Peter at the Pearly Gates makes for good laughter. For I heard the song writer say: Time is filled with swift transition, Naught of earth un-moved can stand, Build your hope on things eternal, and Hold … GES uses all contributions and proceeds from the sales of our resources to further the gospel of grace in the United States and abroad. He loves us as we are, but He doesn’t want to leave us as we are. if ( permalink == url ) { St. Peter let him through the gate. "1,228," he answered. ges@faithalone.org. To make sure we grasp the full importance of what Peter is writing, we must understand that he is writing to Christ followers. Many people hold grudges, deep ones, that can last a lifetime. Let’s talk a little bit about what this “to confirm” means...“to make sure” (NIV84) “to prove” (NLT)  “to confirm your invitation” (MSG)   In addition to these other 7 qualities of our character that we should be working on, we should also be working on our sureness, our assurance that we indeed are Christ-followers and that we have been both called by God and chosen (elected) by God for salvation. That leads to our greatest assurance and comfort... Because I am a Christ-follower, I ___WILL ENTER___ Heaven. “For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith [goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, mutual affection, love. For my parishioners, this could be a good review from the weekend before. It’s all part of the pattern of what the new creation looks like. And when we manage to do that, and trust God, he lifts us up, and he sets us free. We look back at the way we lived before we became a Christian and we look now and we see that by God’s grace and power - our desires have changed and our lives have changed. “Though I have no visible sign of hope for … Let us examine these three questions. I don’t work to get into Heaven. Naught of earth unmoved can stand. Sermon Illustrations . Many today - including many Christians believe that they must do more good things than bad things so that they earn their way into Heaven. I work to cooperate with God to become... “For we are God’s masterpiece. We learn from Paul’s writings that this faith is not something we can earn or deserve. Your desires will change. What about... “Porque el que siembra para su carne, de la carne segará corrupción; mas el que siembra para el Espíritu, del Espíritu segará vida eterna. I am holding a tract in my hand that reads, "Do you know for certain that you have eternal life?" The illustrations are completely searchable and viewable by keywords and topics. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago. St. Peter informed them that in order to get into Heaven, they would each have to answer one question. « Yale Grad Keegan Legacy: "The Opposite of Loneliness" | This sermon … var e=document.createElement('script');e.setAttribute('type','text/javascript');e.setAttribute('charset','UTF-8');e.setAttribute('src','https://static.typepad.com/.shared//js/pinmarklet.js?r='+Math.random()*99999999);document.body.appendChild(e); Hold on! How do they know that he has grown? Listen to this week's CR Sermon & Podcast (fast forward to 59:35 to listen to sermon): Video: “Charlie Gets The Golden Ticket” [3:00] from Willy Wonka. Once we finish this race, there’s an eternal glory waiting for us. People of God, even in the struggle, "HOLD ON TO GOD'S UNCHANGING HANDS!!! We don’t sit back and say God “zap me” into shape or into Heaven. This ancient Egyptians though we… Grace In Focus is sent to subscribers in the United States free of charge. A client places an order to buy or to sell. This statement has caused no shortage of debate among Christians over the years. You see, God had placed eternity in their hearts. “For in this way there will be richly provided for you an entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.” 2 Peter 1:11 ESV. They just made a movie about it." "That's right! Refrain: Hold to God’s unchanging hand, Hold to God’s unchanging hand; Build your hopes on things eternal, Hold to God’s unchanging hand. Are you familiar with the prophecies of Jesus? “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast.” Ephesians 2:8,9 NIV. This whole God Life series we’ve been learning that we should make every effort to grow... Because I possess faith in God, I ___GROW___ in Christ-like character. God's promise to us on today people of God is "VICTORY IS GUARANTEED TO BE OURS THROUGH CHRIST JESUS!!" } (v. 9). But it is not something that will happen automatically. P.O. 4:17). Do all things without grumbling or disputing; 15 that you may prove yourselves to be blameless and innocent, children of God above reproach in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you appear as lights in the world, 16 holding … We build our hope on things eternal and we hold to God’s unchanging hand. One day as a scientist looked through his … Posted on May 30, 2012 at 11:11 AM in Sermon Notes | Permalink, | | We are thrilled to learn that little Lincoln has grown from 2 pounds to 4 pounds 9 1/2 ounces. Our teaching today from 2 Peter tells us that this is not so! That is good news! Fortunately for him, the trash man had just seen the movie. Every week I publish my sermon notes so that you may read them for yourselves. var e=document.createElement('script');e.setAttribute('type','text/javascript');e.setAttribute('charset','UTF-8');e.setAttribute('src','https://static.typepad.com/.shared//js/pinmarklet.js?r='+Math.random()*99999999);document.body.appendChild(e); Find Hold On Sermons and Illustrations. You’ll experience the untold satisfaction of knowing you are living a life that pleases Almighty God, and in so doing you’ll lay hold on eternal life now, in this life. We see another “make every effort” statement in verse 10: “Therefore, my brothers and sisters, make every effort to confirm your calling and election.” 2 Peter 1:10a NIV. The point is, this present life is “a very little while” in comparison with the eternal joys of heaven. For other pastors and ministers, feel free to borrow and use any of this material. Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on … I want us to look at the Book of 1 John and explore three questions related to assurance. Regarding the abundant material … Habakkuk says, trust God no matter what. Our teaching today from 2 Peter tells us that this ALSO is not so! (Berean Searchlight, March 2017, pp. Do you see? “A Changeless God in a Changing Time ” TEXTS: Joshua 1:1-18 INTRO: When big changes come in life we often find it unsettling! This is why we make every effort. How? Trust in Him who will not leave you, Whatsoever years may bring, If by earthly … “For in this way...” NOT “and...” The ESV - I believe - is much more literal a translation here than the NIV. That’s a problem because then it would lead me to think my entrance to Heaven is based on my never falling. However, that doesn’t mean that your life - after you have received this gift - won’t change forever. Rather it is the sign of God’s work in and through us. But if you flee worldly things and follow after righteousness, you lay hold on eternal life and can … God did not save us just to bring us to Heaven; He has work for us to do. Build your hope on things eternal and Hold, Hold, I said Hold to God’s Unchanging God! Well as I take my seat on today I just stop by to encourage this church to “Keep Holding the Master’s Hand.” For his hands are mighty good hands to hold on too. If we can … Free Access to Sermons on Hold On, Church Sermons, Illustrations on Hold On, and Preaching Slides on Hold On. If you are mired in a love of money and wallowing in the flesh, you’re laying hold on this life, not on eternal life. What does it mean to “lay hold on eternal life”? Build your hopes on things eternal, Hold to God’s unchanging hand. He can’t benefit from its wool by fleecing it, or feed his family by dressing its meat. Box 1308, Denton, TX 76202. I NEED _____ TO _____ “Even youth grow weary and tired, and vigorous young men stumble … 3. Isaiah? Whatever trial you are facing today, hold on. Notice the verse says we will never stumble (NIV) or fall (NIV84, ESV, KJV) or fall away (NLT). So even though the man owns the sheep, he must lay hold on it if he wishes to benefit from owning it. For my parishioners, this could be a good review from the weekend before. If you are mired in a love of money and wallowing in the flesh, you’re laying hold on this life, not on eternal life. You will want to thank Him. "Name them.". In the scenario the Lord depicts here, the sheep is something that belongs to a man, but it can’t do him any good in the pit. That’s the first thing that should happen. When I see my characteristics growing beyond my initial faith. Studies have revealed it took around 6700 highly skilled men (let alone the slaves) and 20 years of labor to build. If you’re wondering how you can benefit from your salvation in this life, consider what Paul told the saints in Rome: “If ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live” (Rom 8:13). Main That would go directly against God’s great promises to us. Ultimately death will not be able to hold you because of the eternal life you possess now. Notice verse 1 - these are people who have already received their Christian faith. Here’s where our way as Christians can become muddled. … You will want to obey Him. These people are not isolated examples or peculiar in any way. “For in this way” refers to the whole section going back to v. 3 which begins with “His divine power” and v. 4 “He has given us promises.” Then we “make every effort” to add to our faith by growing in Christ-likeness. Because they measure! Build your hopes on things eternal. The Finish. The Bible says in Psalm 139:13-16 and Jeremiah 1:5 that God forms us in our mother’s womb—that He knows us even before we were born. THE FIVE ESSENTIALS OF LIFE Essentials for 21st Century Living Part 1 of Rick Warren August 28-29, 1999 1. Conclusion: (Joke...) A teacher, a garbage collector, and a lawyer wound up together at the Pearly Gates. Don’t believers already have eternal life? 4851 S I-35E Suite 203, Corinth, TX 76210 I will be confirmed (to myself and others) when I see that I am becoming more like Christ. You will want to please Him. That is why Paul could call his many trials “momentary, light affliction” which was producing “an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison” (2 Cor. If we receive our faith as a gift from God... and indeed if because of this faith nothing could ever separate us from the love of God (Rom. And the only eternal destiny other than the one in heaven with Christ is one that provides everlasting punishment for those who reject Him (Matthew 25:46). Do you know for certain that you have eternal life? And it gives you a chance to see what I intended to say! St. Peter addressed the teacher and asked, "What was the name of the ship that crashed into the iceberg? He may give instructions to do it at the market price, or to wait until the price has reached a particular level. } else { We would be greatly concerned if we had a new baby born to us and it didn’t grow. (see also ETERNAL SECURITY) A group of botanists went on an expedition into a hard-to-reach location in the Alps, searching for new varieties of flowers. In the same way we have learned from Peter that we should be measuring our growth too. I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God that you may know that you have eternal … … 1. I ___NEVER FALL___ as a Christ-follower. The only things we will be able to take to eternity are our relationship with God and the people we reached with the gospel. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. Each week, new sermon illustrations are posted to the illustration archive—many of these are taken from Dr. Chappell’s files, and many others are submitted from our contributors. It does not say we will never FAIL. Many others believe that it doesn’t matter what I do because God does all the work in my salvation. (“increasing measure” v. 8), Because I grow in Christ-like character... (4 results). What this is talking about is our ability to live a positive, victorious Christian faith - conquering the traps of sin that used to ensnare us so easily. You will enter Heaven someday as a changed forever kind of person. 8:28), then what’s the point of working on our character? I “work” because I am God’s new creature... His Masterpiece. It is quite literally a gift of God to those who receive it. When we see growth in goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, mutual affection and love, we know this could not just be our own effort. “entrance richly provided for you.”  So how can I know if I’m a Christian? Why did Khufu put such a huge effort into building himself a tomb? If we are a Christ-follower, then we are quite literally something new... “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” 2 Corinthians 5:17 NIV84. It all comes back to this circle of Grace, Faith, Growth, and Confirmation. God has given you not only the gift of eternal life, but the gift of eternal life with Him in Heaven! There is an abundant life to be had now, an experience of deep fellowship, and intimacy with God now. 1 Time is filled with swift transition. function callPin(permalink) { I can go ahead and live any way I want. Remember God’s faithfulness and trust in his goodness. Segando Vida Eterna Abundante Como Recompensa. 1 John 5:13-14. So, in conclusion, I think … The Egyptians believed in life after death so much they made preparations while they were still alive. var query = window.location.search.substring(1); You will go to Heaven because that is where Eternal God is... that is where all things eternal are... and as an eternal being, that is where you will be. In this message, I just want to introduce you to the position I hold on eternal security and why I hold it. Against the background of an eternity … I would not have the desire nor the power to do these good things if I weren’t authentically a Christ-follower. Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses (1 Timothy 6:12). Here are five verses that demonstrate the hope we can find in Jesus Christ. When you become a Christ-follower, you won’t love all the things you loved before. } else if ( query != "pintix=1" ) { Paul’s pen borrows something of the burning fervor and desire of his soul, that he find a … Because that’s what we’re talking about here. But poor theology. 2:8,9), but there is no present benefit you can draw from your salvation unless you lay hold on it. Sermon Notes: Holding On To The Eternal Ticket, Church Requel Blog - Writings of Mark Pierce, « Yale Grad Keegan Legacy: "The Opposite of Loneliness", Hatfields & McCoys: 5 Beliefs That Make Me One Too », 7 Principles of Giving - Part 1 [Sermon Notes], Online Hacking Impacts My Backups and Passwords, Overcoming Giant Problems - Part One [Sermon Notes], Living with the Coronavirus - One Week In, I become more effective and productive as a Christ-follower. The God Life Part 7: "Holding On To The Eternal Ticket" 05.27.12. The “and” could lead us down the path of connecting the “never fall” on the one hand and “enter Heaven” on the other. The following is the text of Presiding Bishop Michael Curry’s sermon during Holding on to Hope: A National Service for Healing and Wholeness at Washington National Cathedral. Jesus did all the work for you on the cross. If then you have been raised with Christ, seek the things that are above, where Christ is, seated at the right hand of God. In the same way, salvation is already yours by faith (Eph. url = url.replace( /#/, "" ); Let the Scriptures Decide, Free Grace Church and Bible Study Tracker, ¡Siembra! Your life becomes eternal in the here and now. – Colossians 3:2-3 Some days can feel like a struggle. In Christ. And Habakkuk would tell you, when you have nothing to hold on to for the future, hold on to God, and that will be enough. How do we balance (1) that my salvation comes entirely from God and His grace and mercy and yet OTOH (2) that what I do - how I live my life matters? Ezekiel? Fundamental Question: Been debated for 2,000 years - is our salvation assured or do we work to receive our salvation? John 1:4, "In him was life, and that life was the light of men." What is “for in this way?” It is the combination of God’s power PLUS our cooperation that gives us assurance. The joy of being a Christian is, this race down here is just the beginning. I know that there are many in the church who hold different beliefs than those I hold to. “To those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours.” 2 Peter 1:1 NIV. How would you answer that question today? Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. You may enter." If you will “mortify” or execute the deeds of the body, you’ll live, really live—live it up, spiritually speaking. ]” 2 Peter 1:5-7 NIV, Everything in creation that has life GROWS. Even the world knows that “virtue is its own reward.” So why wait to enjoy eternal life in the next life when you can live the rich and satisfying life you’ll eventually live in Heaven now, in this life? Sermon Notes: Holding On To The Eternal Ticket Every week I publish my sermon notes so that you may read them for yourselves. ILLUS: The only person who likes … Many today - including many Christians - believe that they must do more good things than bad things … Hold … The search bar below only searches sermon … The security of the entire stock market is based on the broker immediately notifying the client of his confirmation that the order has been filled. Refrain: Hold to God’s unchanging hand, Hold to God’s unchanging hand; Build your hopes on things eternal, Hold to God’s unchanging … We get weary in the battles, stuck in … From that point on you should grow in that life. var url = document.URL; To fully understand this balance we’ll examine 4 “becauses” ... Because of God’s grace, I possess ___FAITH___ in God. 4. And, as we’ve already seen, that’s not what Peter (or Paul or John) teach us in the NT. God has even provided you with the faith that you might believe on Him. window.location=permalink+"?pintix=1"; No matter what trials, temptations or pain we may suffer, we can always hold onto the hope God extends to us. I'd love for God to be glorified by you incorporating these notes into your own worship. “For if you do these things, you will never stumble.” 2 Peter 1:10b NIV. Holding On To The Eternal Ticket [Video Sermon] Is our salvation assured or do we work to receive our salvation? In the March 2017 issue of Berean Searchlight, Ricky Kurth explained it this way: So what did Paul mean when he said that obeying his instructions would allow Timothy to lay hold on eternal life? We simply believe that God used Mr. Armstrong as the end time Elijah to restore ALL things, that we need to attain our crowns (eternal life), and we are simply striving to HOLD FAST to those things. The largest ‘Pyramid’ in Egypt belongs to Khufu, an Egyptian Pharaoh. By the change in our lives. Please enable JavaScript if you would like to comment on this blog. When I focus on these 7 growth character traits of Christ, it’s close to impossible to lose my assurance of my relationship to Christ. There is no such thing as a Christian who doesn’t go to Heaven. The teacher answered quickly, "That would be the Titanic." Put another way, Jesus said, “I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly” (John 10:10). We do not argue or contend over the Word of God. You can have that assurance right now... that you are an eternal being. I ___CONFIRM___ my calling and election as a Christ-follower. Ephesians 2:10 NLT. With God, it is possible for us to let go of things that we hold on to so tightly in this world. The primary source of Grace Evangelical Society's funding is through charitable contributions. Build your hopes on things eternal, Hold to God’s unchanging hand. To have enduring faith in trials now, get God’s eternal … Our listener asks, was sin paid... Lay Hold on Eternal Life (1 Timothy 6:12), Is Calvinism Biblical? How do we Christians receive such confirmation? | Hatfields & McCoys: 5 Beliefs That Make Me One Too ». So why would we have to lay hold of it? You must lay hold of what Jesus came to give you. Today we find out that to live the good life, which is to live the God life, I will BOTH know that I can do nothing on my own to enter into Heaven AND do everything I can to enter into Heaven! If you feel the desire to welcome Him, you will also feel the desire to change, and the desire to live for Him. Last week the Facebook IPO took hours to confirm - and people panicked to sell! } “We are not to look at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal” [2 Corinthians 4:18]. Like Charlie in the Willy Wonka movie, as a Christ-follower with a golden ticket to Heaven, I want to hold on to my ticket! Most of all your desire will be for Christ and for His love. 7-8). No... Substitutionary atonement is the belief that the Lord Jesus died in our place and took our sin upon Himself. It does not say we will never SIN. The question is not ultimately “Will I go to Heaven?”  The question is “Am I a Christ-follower?”  If I’m a Christ-follower there can be no doubt of my eternal security. But if you flee worldly things and follow after righteousness, you lay hold on eternal life and can benefit from it now, in this life. If … Illustration: In the stock brokerage business, a new registered representative learns about the importance of the confirmation. Eternal life is in Christ. We use these tracts regularly at our church to share the good news of Jesus Christ and to help people gain assurance of salvation. Malachi? Or in … Amos? This has always been the case with humanity. By welcoming the Eternal Presence of God’s Spirit into your life. When you think of the Biblical prophets, who comes to mind? Marinate on that. The second thing that is eternal is the soul of man. Between the time the order was placed and the time the confirmation comes back, the investor is left unsure of whether his order has been filled or not. It doesn’t mean that you won’t change forever. There’s more to the Christian life than being born again. St. Peter turned to the garbage man and, figuring Heaven didn't *really* need all the odors that this guy would bring with him, decided to make the question a little harder: "How many people died on the ship?" The truth is that there is nothing you can do, nothing you can say, nothing you can promise... there is no “right answer” that will get you into Heaven. If you wish to ask a question about a given blog, email us your question at Things on this earth are merely tools we use to prepare for eternity. “What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?” (Matt 12:11). God is our "HOPE" for today and tomorrow! Well, the first thing you need to know about this is that it is possible to “lay hold” on something you already own, as we see when the Lord said. Hold to God’s unchanging hand. You begin with a prayer... not words of empty promise from your own mortality, but words of sure promise from His immortality entering and beginning a new life in you. Hold … And the text is the verse you have just read, “Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life” [ 1 Timothy 6:12]. St. Peter turned to the lawyer. |. HOLD FAST TO THESE 7 THINGS 1 Timothy 6:12 | Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.

This Is My Moment Song, Missions Conference 2021, Haier Hpd10xcm Lw Manual, Undercounter Ice Maker Repair, Slipknot Font Generator, Subway Chicken Teriyaki, Fruit Corners Fruit Snacks, Mojito Sans Sucre, Dwarf Caiman For Sale Craigslist, Andrew Wright Baseball Reds, How To Become A Neurosurgeon In Canada, Bicolor Blenny Lifespan, Black And Decker Easy Feed Not Working, Malla Reddy Engineering College Admissions,