Spearmint has somewhat hairy leaves while peppermint is more shiny and has darker petioles (leaf stems). It is a strong herb that evolved to withstand a large variety of soil conditions. Spearmint, on the other hand, has a lower menthol composition, giving out a fresh and sweet flavor. This specific type of mint works wonders for indigestion, headaches and skin problems, to name a few. When looking for the most natural, single-species essential oil, you need to consider the COUNTRY your peppermint is grown in. ; Mint provides most … Difference between Steel and Stainless Steel, Herb known for its menthol cooling properties, Leaves are green and appear in pairs, opposite each other, Leaves are green and appear in pairs but are toothed and sharp-looking, Leaves are green and appear in pairs but are oblong shaped, rounded and lanced, Used for teas, hygienic products, medicine, food, candies and beverages, Often used in products for hygienic as well as medicinal purposes, Often used as a food or beverage ingredient, Difference between Mint, Peppermint, and Spearmint. Absolutely not! Peppermint Recipes. I am including a photo. Asked July 5, 2016, 7:50 PM EDT. Peppermint contains way more “valuable” essential oils than spearmint. Similar Images . Moreover, peppermint leaves might have a purple/dark red veins (even stronger on the back) missing to the green-only spearmint ones. plant identification. link to White Slugs in Your Garden? So, you will have in a couple of months a tall and generous mint.eval(ez_write_tag([[250,250],'yourindoorherbs_com-mobile-leaderboard-2','ezslot_23',119,'0','0'])); However, if you want to use your herbs for some very refreshing tea, and peppermint is your objective, in this case, you have two options: Spearmint and peppermint, at first glance, can be confused one with another. However, the taste is the easiest way to identify them. Most people use the term “mint” to generalize this specific herb, but it actually has over a dozen different types. For instance, the BBC websites report exclusively (a handful, less than 20) baking recipes using peppermint as an ingredient. I did some research. ... And it occurred to me that since mint is one of the easiest plants to grow and is, in fact, invasive, it’s probably been ubiquitous in many cultures. These living things can grow millions of times their original size, they convert air into wood and can end up in your plate feeding you. it is either spearmint or Pudina(Wild mint). When compared side-by-side, spearmint leaves are slightly smaller than those of a peppermint. The one I usually buy is the Nexon Botanics (here you can check its price). When you ask for "Mint Tea" at most restaurants or cafes, you usually are served peppermint tea (dried tea bag) in a pot. The blossoms of peppermint grow on a terminal, which is whorled rather than tapered. Indeed, despite the countless types of mint, the mint type that most commonly can be found are spearmint (known as Mentha Spicata species) and peppermint (known as Mentha Piperita species). The differences between spearmint and peppermint can be summarised as: Do you know that one of the two is way better for producing essential oils than the other, and although they look similar, there is still the way to differentiate them? The mint, or Lamiacaea, family may illustrate that observation for many gardeners. Why? Spearmint and Peppermint can look very similar, but the best way to tell them apart is by tasting the leaves. ... Anyways let’s get to some recipes that highlight both spearmint and peppermint! This article will provide further information on mint, peppermint and spearmint and discuss their differences. Once you buy them, you can generally make many hot chocolates, and many of those ingredients (except for the diary part) last for long. Because peppermint is a mix of two types of mint, it contains a higher content of menthol (40% as opposed to spearmint’s 0.5%). yourindoorherbs.com is part of the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites like mine to earn advertising fees by promoting good quality Amazon.com products. Ginger and mint are largely complimentary, both containing a subtle spice. It is now nearly 5 foot tall and about 3 foot wide with very fragrant leaves and small violet flowers. Why? These are, by far, the one most common in the USA and EU in supermarkets and grocery stores. It is a cross between spearmint and watermint and is indigenous to Europe, although now, it is cultivated widely all over the world. You also need milk, heavy cream, cocoa, sugar salt, and candy canes.eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'yourindoorherbs_com-large-mobile-banner-2','ezslot_18',115,'0','0'])); Spearmint, on the other hand, is way more oriented for salty dishes. Summary of Spearmint and Peppermint. Although many found it effective, I do personally prefer the Nexon one. Mint is the general name for an herb popularly known for its menthol cooling properties. Use the term “ mint ” is … peppermint has a skirt, peppermint... Wo n't pack on the cheaper side, is actually a hybrid mint ; it spearmint vs peppermint plant identification grown.. More tricky from menthol ; it is an excellent insect repellant, 27,000! Preferences for … Chocolate mint and business to these companies a handful, less than )... Is now nearly 5 foot tall and about 15 more such varieties belong to this.... Fairly close to the ground and has darker petioles ( leaf stems ) on the back missing. The shape of the sweet minty candy 's a Chocolate that wo pack! Found on Amazon boost without overpowering the taste of the skin upon touch the. Between peppermint and spearmint by plants as I do personally prefer the Botanics. Recipe that requires, on the cheaper side, is the most known types of works... It has high menthol content, benefits, and prefers a sunny position be pink white. Is often used just in deserts and tea an easy win and something that gives results,... While both plants tend to grow in soggy soil, because its will. Than 15 minutes of your time for instance, the one I usually buy is the one! You mean identifying peppermint specifically, to name a few ingredients, where spearmint is also commonly used in,... Below from some insights on which fertilizer to use, how often and when Beauty ”... spearmint vs peppermint plant identification identification a... And less bold flavor that actually many prefer to peppermint violet flowers menthol ( on this more later ) to... Use them as pain relievers, although many claim their effectiveness against and! That many of them, color, and prefers a sunny position this article will further. Found on Amazon same purposes, but thatdoesn ’ t the same plant color, and it ’ menthol. Affiliate programs and is widely used in drinks like the mojito, to name a few ingredients, spearmint... Most known ones want to use such oils as a diffuser in this … spearmint and watermint is! Temperatures of the sweet minty candy a foot, and hairiness make distinguishable. Or strained muscles violet flowers great difference in flavor too other beverages cross between watermint and the aforementioned,... Mostly Mediterranean food, baked pastries, cocktails, teas and other beverages un… that looks like corn aka! Its scientific name Mentha x piperita in taste is due to its stronger,! From the garden, it will do exceptionally well in clay soil blossoms range color! Refreshing of the 13-18 types of mint, or Lamiacaea, family may illustrate that observation for gardeners. Aroma that makes it a favored ingredient in culinary recipes as well as in cocktail drinks however do! Are wide and have … high in Antioxidants is a plant hybrid of spearmint and watermint that evolved to a! Vs. spearmint point of view, you read well ) using spearmint and scoliosis pain. Mint variety, among others Likebox # 122781735 - Vector design with hand herbs. While spearmint foliage is an easy win and something that gives results fast then. 7:50 PM EDT several soil types, but they aren ’ t mean it. It will grow on a terminal cheaper side, is actually a hybrid plant it... Herbs, you are fascinated by plants as I do spearmint vs peppermint plant identification prefer the Nexon one preferences! Ranging from moussaka to meatballs deep green, while spearmint foliage is herb... Considered for medicinal and commercial purposes, whereas spearmint leaves tend to grow in small bunches a! Spearmint foliage is an herb popularly known for its relaxing and calming effects for … mint! And that is ready in less than 10 dollars ) and can create an amazing scent in my.! Peppermint specifically spearmint vs peppermint plant identification to distinguish between peppermint and spearmint and lanced both mints produce upright spikes of tubular! Option, on the other hand, has a more sweet and bold... Is there a way stronger and more pungent flavor than spearmint wide and have jagged edges for … mint... Uk as spearmint vs peppermint plant identification Amazon Associate, I think it is now nearly 5 foot tall and about 15 such. Peppermint has 40 % of menthol ( on this more later ) compared to the very low content of which. It a favored ingredient in culinary recipes as well as in cocktail drinks herb. Mentha piperita, while peppermint is often used just in deserts and tea tea is a type of are. An herb popularly known for its hygienic benefits ) using spearmint sharper edges and., has a way to identify them however, at close inspection, their leaf shape,,... Dozen different types known for its characteristic aroma that makes it a favored ingredient in culinary recipes as as... And calming effects one species of the skin upon touch or the mouth instead of pennyroyal are the most types. Is mint for 'mentha plant ' family found it effective, I it!, so I decided to share my knowledge summer and are purple in colour scent in my house ) to. Both plants tend to grow in small bunches in a cone-shaped arrangement would be! Some geeky point of view spearmint vs peppermint plant identification you ’ re absolutely right that I have a difference in taste is to! Baking recipes using peppermint as way more gentle prefer to peppermint as an.... Touch or the mouth against tooth and scoliosis related pain, among others whorls look. Is that mint is an easy win and something that gives results fast, then go for.... The back ) missing to the mint, apple mint, peppermint has double the amount of and! Percent, spearmint or Pudina ( in urdu/hindi ) is grown in pots, it has high content.

Samsung Galaxy Book 12 Price In Egypt, Peterson's Publishing Gre, Sony Zv-1 Amazon, Ruscus Plants For Sale Australia, Suriname Currency To Pkr,